“Hey Dee, I need help. I have no discipline. I have tried to exercise before and I don’t seem to find the motivation to get it going. I know it is good for me and I also know that I need it”. – By you.
Let me share my experience with discipline. As a good Latina, I used to leave everything til “manana” (tomorrow). It was in 2015 when I took a business program that I decided for the first time ever to start to be fully committed and do everything they tell me to do in order to make my new business work. In order to show my commitment, I also had to be accountable as well as have integrity in my word. If I said I was going to do it, I would get it done. Period. No matter what.
DISCIPLINE IS LIKE NIKE “JUST DO IT”
I had been very determined throughout my whole life which is why I decided to be disciplined to do the 2 years program. This is no different than exercising daily for 5 minutes.
JUST GET IT DONE NOW!
I know you know this and I will remind you again.
- Set a realistic goal
- Make it attainable
Let’s say that you are that person that lacks discipline with the excuse of not having time because of work, family, kids, etc. Let’s make it simple. Everyone has 5 minutes per day. Before taking a shower, you are going to setup a timer to 5 minutes on your phone. Hit start, and then you will do the following circuit.
- 5 squats
- 5 jumping jacks or burpees
- 5 push ups (any modification: incline, or knees or full)
When the timer is up, you are done with your workout of the day.
In your case, accountability is key, and you can do any of the following:
- Find an accountability partner. Someone that has similar goals, and wants to be accountable as well. Or someone that already has a routine and is happy to support you. Set a daily call or text when your workout is done and commit to doing it 1 to 3 times per week.
- Hire a coach. The reason that people will hire a coach is mostly accountability. The rest is an add-on like teaching them what to do, how to do it, nutrition, and healing.
- Join a group class (not a gym membership). Register with the class and show up because you already committed to the class.
Exercise daily. Make healthy food choices daily. Meditate daily. Be sure to show up for yourself.
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS
- Why do you want to develop discipline?
- What is stopping you to build discipline in your life?
Remember that you are the average of the 5:
- People you hang out with the most (at work, home, etc)
- Books that you read or listen to daily
- Movie or tv show that you watch
- The people you follow on social media
- The news to watch or read
Your environment will determine what you become, watch and select wisely because it will also determine your level of commitment, discipline, and influence in your life!
About Dee Mago
Who is Dee Mago? She is a personal trainer, healthy eating coach, healer, and the author of “Happy Naked” and “Lifestyle Journal”. She also received a diploma in computers and then retired from the I.T. World. Her mission is to disrupt the fitness industry as we know it integrating the body through complete exercise practice, mind and soul through healing using energy, sound healing, and many other tools to help her clients to be happy naked!